September 21, 2011

Wings on Wednesday





Ruby~throated Hummingbird
 
The Ruby~throats are doing their fattening up
process prior to heading South.  My husband sat
patiently out on the deck to capture these images.
We have been observing 1 adult male, 1 adult female, 
and 2 juveniles.  Today the 2 juvies are 
chasing each other all over the place.  I read
that the young ones may stay longer before migrating.
We are so blessed to have 1 family use our backyard
every season :-))
 
"Happy Wednesday, Everyone" 

4 comments:

Donna said...

I've been having a Ruby Throat Humming bird dominating the feeder for three days now. I used to have that same feeder too (Lowes) until the threads in it got stripped. Very pretty!

Julie G. said...

Cindy, these are wonderful photographs of the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds! Ours have been very busy of late. How lucky you are to have a hummingbird family enjoying your feeders! This fabulous post brought a big smile to my face. Thanks for sharing!

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

She is sure fattening up for the long flight. They have been fighting over the feeders here to the point of almost crashing into the kitchen window. I will hate to see them go but need the feeders down. The wasp made a nest in our wall, I read they will do that to stay close to the food source. I want to take the feeders down now but not till the hummers are all gone. The last time it was the vent pipe in my bathroom. Do you have trouble with wasp when you put the feeders out?

You sure have some lovely feathered hummers, some here are looking ratty, I wonder if its because of the lack of rain, they do not take a typical bath. They sit out in the rain.

Enjoy those sweet hummers.

cindyzlogic said...

Thank you Donna, Julie and Tammy for reading and leaving comments :-))