March 9, 2010

Cedar Waxwings: Buds & Birds

My first views of Cedar Waxwings in my part of the the world!
I was taking a walk around the neighborhood today...and because it's Spring...I decided to bring my camera along just in case. I was barely 3 blocks into the walk when this flock of little birds flew out of an evergreen-ish bush. I almost kept walking...but, their color caught my eye. I stopped and looked up...I could not believe my eyes!! I was so excited!! Those were Cedar Waxwings!! These are "lifers" for me! Also, it was my goal this Winter to see a Cedar Waxwing and here they were just 3 blocks away. Can you tell I'm excited ;-D


These birds are so small, I visualized them to be as large as a Cardinal. They were a little larger than a House Sparrow.

The Kansas Field Guide says they commonly nest in NE Kansas. I'm located in SC Kansas, so I'm assuming they are Spring migrants. They like to eat tree buds and there are "plenty to be had of them, I assure you".


I counted 54 Waxwings in this photo.

Eurasian Collared-Dove

This is another lifer for me :-)) There was a beautiful pair, but they flew off as I tried to get closer.

Carolina Wrens

We found out what the Wrens like...this fruit & nut seed bell. It was overcast getting ready to rain.

Female Cardinal

She was also grabbing a quick snack before the rains.


Black-capped Chickadee

He just wanted some suet, but the Starling's voracious appetites chomped the suet block down in a couple of days. Another great day of backyard birding!

11 comments:

Debbie Miller @HooootOwl said...

How exciting to get this lifer just as winter is about to end. A winter wish come true. You had such a lovely walk today. Cute wrens on the seed bell too.

cindyzlogic said...

Thank you, Debbie! I was so thrilled to see Cedar Waxwings here. I think they were on there way somewhere...probably further North.

FAB said...

Congratulations on the lifers Cindy. We have been waiting for migrant (Bohemian) Waxwings to filter south this winter but they must be finding plenty of food further north. FAB.

cindyzlogic said...

Thanks, Frank! I was completely surprised...it was a blessing from God :-))

troutbirder said...

Walking with a camera ( and my GSD) is my idea of a great outing. What a lucky one you had. I've never come close to seeing that many waxwing at once.

cindyzlogic said...

Seeing a Waxwing, let alone a flock, was totally unexpected! I was so excited...an awesome gift from the Lord :-))

Anonymous said...

Way to go mom! God answered your prayer! Your son

Elizabeth said...

I love cedar waxwings! We don't have them here in Florida, but I have fond memories of them in Iowa. 54! Wow! Great bird photos!

cindyzlogic said...

Thanks! Will!

Thanks, Elizabeth! I saw another flock in NE Kansas while traveling!

Anonymous said...

Great! I believe you were very exited. I remember seeing my first waxwings last year. We usually don't have them in Switzerland but last winter the came down south. I was so thrilled. I always looked at them in the fieldguide and thought that I want to see them once!

cindyzlogic said...

Thanks for stopping by, @dreamfalcon! You know exactly how I felt! They are cute little birds!